Picture
Photo via Steffen Zahn
Much has been made of the growth of the craft beer and decline of big beer here in the U.S.  A recent Businessweek article, "Light Beer Fights for Life as Craft Brews Invade Shelves", further highlights the obvious trend.  The most striking statistic to me is that light beer is a $50 billion market, so big breweries are extremely dependent on it.  Relevantly:

If the companies can’t revive the brand, “we’ve got big trouble ahead of us,” said Bump Williams, whose Stratford, Connecticut-based BWC Co. advises more than 100 beer retailers and distributors. “Light beer has become a commodity.”

I think an obvious solution is to develop more interesting beers that are doing well in the market and lessen their dependence on the light beer segment. However, the big breweries have decided to fight for market share in the same way they’ve been doing so since light beer’s inception.

Marketing.

The article then discusses taglines and packaging innovations of the past ten years.  This year, Miller is switching back to “It’s Miller Time,” stating:

Miller Lite focused on its buddy theme after research revealed that sociability was high on beer drinkers’ minds. England said the campaign will go beyond Bud Light’s more generic “here we go” advertising, by focusing on close friends, not just acquaintances.

I’ve seen Superbowl ads - is this really that big of a change in their marketing?  While advertising obviously works and I understand the significance of $50 billion, I can’t help but think the strategy a long term losing battle because consumer tastes are changing.  Perhaps brewing more flavorful, interesting beers is either too expensive, too risky, too impossible on such an industrial level, or the market is too small to make up for the $50 billion.

Of course, you’ll probably see me drinking a Miller Lite watching a Cubs game very soon, so take my opinion for what it’s worth.  And I’ll always have a soft spot for Miller Lite because of its glorious roots to Chicago and the Meister Brau brand.

Cheers my friends!

Bruce

Comments

03/31/2012 3:54pm

I think you're on to something with the losing battle concept. My guess is that the bog breweries are trying to milk everything they can out of the light beer market until either the craft market grows to a point where it can be profitable enough, or until they find another way to profitably muscle in to the craft scene.

06/04/2013 6:00am

If you love entertainment news and you want a job in journalism, become an entertainment reporter and provide the public with juicy celebrity gossip. It isn’t easy to become an entertainment reporter.

06/19/2013 11:55pm

Magento, an e-commerce software program, provides online businesses an online store to sell digital goods. Using an online server, control your online store and fully customize its appearance and its functionality.

06/19/2013 4:39am

Some business ventures seem destined to thrive in good economies and stand firm during tough economic times.

10/13/2013 10:29am

You got a very practical weblog For a nice and right here studying approximately a little while by now. My business is any novice whilst your success is very a lot a creativity in my opinion.

Bruce
04/02/2012 8:35am

I think you're definitely right, Brian. Some people recently also said that branding was such a huge issue here - that people will always connect the big brands with the lighter beer and therefore it would be hard to compete. I still think that the overall market size, like you stated, has a lot more to do with it. Thanks for commenting!

04/26/2013 5:51am

Beware early repayment penalties on fixed rate and other discounted deals but most mortgages allow up to 10pc of the outstanding balance to be repaid each year without penalty.

09/06/2013 1:55pm

It is so lucky to read your blog, it is full of useful message. I wish we both can do better in the future. It great honor if you can visit our website, and give us some suggestion

09/17/2012 6:22am

Because of posts like this I surf the internet and when I found you, the time I felt I was wasting, just turned my thoughts around and now I am thinking I invested my time in something really interesting.

10/04/2012 3:50am

The information you shared through your post is functional. I admire your work. Wish you all the luck for all your blogging efforts.

10/05/2012 2:16am

I liked the way you wrote it. You did not divert from the topic even once which I have not seen in many other writers.

10/15/2012 1:58pm

My partner and I enjoyed reading this write-up on topic Lite Beer's Struggles & The Marketing Solution; I just wanted to know do you trade featured articles or blog posts? I am always trying to find somebody to make trades with and simply thought I'd ask.

03/26/2013 7:08am

people are more obsessed with parties now. they bare used to gaming and partying whole night. its been a usual thing that people party and roam around drunken in the streets. this has to prohibited .

04/26/2013 5:51am

A Christian couple who marry without a state marriage license are contracting a valid and legal marriage that even the state recognizes if certain conditions are met.

07/15/2013 1:53am

Magento Extensions is another exciting add-on for ecommerce development market and CMSMART.net is developing best class Magento Extensions base on an excellent Magento developers team...Stay tunes!

08/09/2013 2:35am

Thisn'te looks like that _ design, even while listening to and it also, That we came across as one other testimonies, most of that had been switch possesses another thing to be able to c discussed by using a issue. We are ecstatic within the originator for quite a few energy she's got made-up to help come up with your content towards a supplier option so to push a very prospects, and it also came up good.

09/17/2013 1:43am

I surprised with the analysis you made to create this particular put up incredible. Great task!

I assume this web website includes some rattling amazing info for everyone . This is an age in which a single cannot locate common sense with out a research warrant. by George Will.

09/26/2013 3:48am

This blog post is relevant and to the point. I recommend it to everyone visiting this blog.

09/26/2013 11:37pm

Thanks for the writeup. I definitely agree with what you are saying. I have been talking about this subject a lot lately with my brother so hopefully this will get him to see my point of view. Fingers crossed!

11/01/2013 2:59pm

Good day. Thanks to the author, and I wish you continued success. I will read you. Read your article and I loved it. I'm surprised that the author is so knowledgeable in this subject. After all, this topic is seldom raised.