Chicago’s Beer Boom: In Charts
Hello brew crew!
I hope that you are all doing well as we slide into one of my favorite times of the year: sweater weather! With football, brats, pumpkins, applies, and hayrides, and comfortable, crisp weather, this is a great time to drink delicious beer.
Lucky for us, we are in the midst of a huge craft beer boom, with over 4,600 breweries now open in the United States. Not only does this apply to the country as a whole, but also to Chicago specifically. These new breweries are brewing some truly delicious brews, which we are incorporating more and more into our beer tours, and we’d love to have you come sample them with us! In the meantime, I took some time and compiled a couple charts that show these trends.
First, here are the number of new breweries that have opened per year since Chicago’s oldest surviving brewery, Goose Island, opened in 1988:
Next, here are the total number of breweries brewing in Chicago in the same time frame:
Whoa! What a time to be alive!
Note the following:
- These charts just reflect breweries opening in the city, although the suburban breweries follow the same trend.
- Included are some contract brewers that do not brew in the city, but may in the future.
- Note that breweries that opened and closed are not reflected in this chart.
In case you are interested, here is a list of breweries sorted by the year they opened:
- Goose Island Beer Co. (brewpub)
- Half Acre Beer Company (Lincoln Brewery and Taproom)
- Finch Beer Co. (brewery)
- Begyle Brewing Company
- Burnt City Brewing (brewpub) f/k/a Atlas Brewing
- Hopothesis Beer Company
- Lake Effect Brewing Co.
- Pipeworks Brewing Company
- Revolution Brewing Company (brewery)
- Spiteful Brewing
- Ale Syndicate
- DryHop Brewers
- Forbidden Root Restaurant & Brewery
- Hop Butcher For The World f/k/a South Loop Brewing Company
- Horse Thief Hollow
- La Birrreria @ Eataly
- Off Color Brewing
- SlapShot Brewing Co.
- Une Année
- Veteran Beer Company
- Aquanaut Brewing Company
- Arcade Brewery
- Empirical Brewery
- Greenstar Brewing @ Uncommon Ground
- Illuminated Brew Works
- Lagunitas Brewing Company
- Like Minds Brewing Company
- Mad Mouse Brewery @ Moxee
- Maplewood Brewery & Distillery (f/k/a Mercenary Brewing)
- Marz Community Brewing
- Moody Tongue Brewing Company
- Twisted Hippo Brewing (f/k/a Rude Hippo Brewing)
- Vice District Brewing Company
- Alarmist Brewin
- All Rise Brewing Co. @ Cobra Lounge
- Around the Bend Beer Co.
- Burnt City Brewing (brewery) f/k/a Atlas Brewing
- Corridor Brewery & Provisions
- Gino’s East Brewery Company
- Half Acre Beer Company (Balmore Brewery)
- Aleman Brewing Company
- Baderbräu Brewing Company
- Band of Bohemia
- Cruz Blanca Cerveceria
- Dovetail Brewery
- Finch Beer Co. (The Finch Kitchen) f/k/a Breakroom Brewery
- Hopewell Brewing Co.
- Motor Row Brewing
- Old Irving Brewing Company
- Whiner Beer Company
If I missed anything, let me know and we’ll add or fix it.
We hope you have a great fall sampling these tasty brew!
Bruce and the CBE Family