NEW BEER TOUR in the Loop & South Loop!
- March 22, 2016 |
- bruce |
Hello brew crew!
We are very excited to announce a NEW BEER TOUR opening up right downtown this spring on April 1 in the Loop & South Loop neighborhoods! On this new tour, tourists will:
– Learn about Chicago’s vice history in the 1800s and 1900s. For example, did you know that one of the city’s first vice districts, The Sands, was located in what is now the east side of River North in the 1850s? One of the more famous residents was Margaret McGuiness, who was said to be drunk for 5 years straight…and without clothes for 3 of them! The area was destroyed by eviction, riots and fire after city officials staged a horse race to empty the area of gamblers.
– Hear about Capone-era mob exploits, such as the Johnny Torrio/Al Capone beer wars versus Dion O’Banion and the north siders.
– Taste and learn about a variety of craft beer, including brews from Vice District, a new microbrewery located right here in Chicago.
– Explore the Loop & South Loop neighborhoods, including brief architecture lessons from some of the world’s first skyscrapers.
Tourists will visit the following places:
– Exchequer Pub, an old school Chicago bar that was frequented by Al Capone himself;
– The Berghoff, a German bar and restaurant that is one of the oldest in the city, and holder of liquor license No. 1 issued after Prohibition;
– Buddy Guy’s Legends, a blues club owned by one of the all time greats; and
– Vice District, a new craft brewery in the South Loop.
Tours will typically run from Wednesdays-Saturdays from 2:30-5:30 PM through mid-November. You can reserve your tickets by clicking here or calling Eztix at (312) 818-2172. We would love to have you discover these parts of Chicago through beer with us!
Thank you for your continued support!
Bruce and the CBE Family