Illinois Craft Beer Week: 2018 Chicago Guide
Hello Brew Crew,
Craft beer week is back! Rebranded the more inclusive “Illinois Craft Beer Week” (shoutout to our suburban, central, and southern Illinois friends), ICBW takes place May 18th through May 25th to provide delicious hoppy goodness. While you can check the official website for a listing of most events, below are some particular things we’re looking forward to in the city of Chicago. There is still space on some of our beer tours, too.
FRIDAY, MAY 18, 2018
- Beer Under Glass @ the Garfield Park Conservatory. Not only is this one of our favorite beer events of this beer-centered week, it’s probably my favorite of the year. BUG is an excellent way to sample local beers while exploring the glorious and underrated Garfield Park Conservatory. Link.
SATURDAY, MAY 19, 2018
- Ultrafresh III Presented by The Hop Review. These guys have one of the best beer blogs in the city, and they throw this festival featuring beer that has all been packaged 5 days or less. Most beer is better fresher! Link.
SUNDAY, MAY 20, 2018
- Bavarian Brunch @ Burnt City Brewing. Raise your stein to Sunday Funday with a specialty menu of German favorites including Schnitzel and Waffles, Bratwurst Breakfast Sandwiches and more, beer cocktails and stein specials from 11am-2pm. Link.
- Goose Island’s 5th Annual Battle of the Breweries Dodgeball Tournament. A silly, fun event pitting Chicago breweries against each other in a dodgeball tournament. Attendees can taste some rare barrel-aged BCBS and all ticket proceeds go to the Illinois Craft Brewer’s Guild. Link.
- Homebrew Thunderdome. Hosted at Empirical, this homebrewing competition is a shoutout to the hobbyists out there. You’ll be able to taste and vote for over 30 homebrewed beers. Link.
MONDAY, MAY 21, 2018
- Few Brews Podcast Presents Illinois Brewing Over Beer. For you beer nerds out there, come meet a few of the area’s most notable brewers and gain insight into the industry during a live taping of this beer-centric podcast. Link.
TUESDAY, MAY 22, 2018
- The Suburbs at Beermiscuous. For us city folks, it’s a good opportunity to taste some of the best beer from the ‘burbs. And they are brewing some killer stuff. Link.
WEDNESDAY, MAY 23, 2018
- 2nd Annual NEIPA Tap Takeover at Forbidden Root. Come sample the hottest style of beer brewed all over the area. Link.
- Newbies and Freshies II at Bitter Pops. Featuring breweries participating in their first local craft beer week, it is a great opportunity to sample some new beers in the market. Link.
THURSDAY, MAY 24, 2018
- Brown Line Brews 6. Ravenswood and the surrounding area has become a brewery hot spot, and this is a good way to sample them. Link.
- Northside Beer Ride. Check out Lake Effect Brewing, ERIS Brewery and Ciderhouse, and 7 other area bars on a continuous bus crawl of the northwest side. Link.
FRIDAY, MAY 25, 2018
- Good Libations Beer Fest @ Theater on the Lake. I’m looking forward to this inaugural beer fest. Impressive local beer lineup right on a newly renovated beautiful spot on Lake Michigan in Lincoln Park. Link.
Enjoy and cheers!
Tags: Battle of the Breweries Dodgeball Tournament, Bavarian Brunch, Beer Under Glass, Beermiscuous, Brown Line Brews, Burnt City Brewing, Few Brews Podcast, Forbidden Root, Good Libations Beer Fest, Goose Island, Homebrew Thunderdome, Hop Review, Illinois Brewing over Beer, NEIPA Tap Takeover, Newbies and Freshies, Northside Beer Ride, The Suburbs, Ultrafresh