Hello brew crew!
As part of our New Year’s resolutions – other than going to the gym (#alreadyfailed) – we are starting a monthly newsletter. This will be hopped up on beer related info from Chicago, the U.S., and the world.
Let’s start with a little 2016 craft beer-in-review. Here are some stats from the U.S. Brewers Association regarding the United States:
– We now have over 5,005 breweries, compared to just 1,500 in 2008.
– Craft beer growth slowed from 13% in 2015 to 8% in 2016.
– India Pale Ales represent 25% of craft beer volume. Holy hops!
– According to the Hop Review, there are currently 65 breweries in the city and 103 in the suburbs.
– New breweries that opened in the city in 2016 are: Around the Bend Beer Co., Baderbräu Tap & Brewery, Band of Bohemia, Cervecería Cruz Blanca, Dovetail Brewing, Hopewell Brewing Co., Motor Row Brewing, Old Irving Brewing Co., Suller’s Past Brewing, and Whiner Beer Co.
– According to the Hop Review, approximately 10 breweries are scheduled to open in the city of Chicago in the future.
– Is there a craft beer bubble? This question has been asked for years, but we may be reaching an inflection point in Chicago. Recently, Finch Beer Co. announced it was leaving its recently acquired taproom and closing its existing brewery, planning on moving elsewhere. Also, Ale Syndicate Brewers lost its lease on a space where Arcade Brewing also brewed, closing, at least temporarily, the two breweries. There will probably be some rough spots ahead for some breweries in the future – bars and beer stores only have so much space – although we wish everyone the best.
Regardless of trouble, there is one thing we believe: the quality of beer has never been better, both in Chicago and the country. Brewers will need to continue to produce delicious suds for consumers, which is excellent for us!
We’ve got more information for you below, and hope you enjoy. Have a great start to 2017!
– Bruce and the CBE Team
UPCOMING CHICAGO BEER EVENTS
– Lakeview & Lincoln Park Beer Tours – January & February; Link
– Winter Brew – January 27-28, Lincoln Square (Dank Haus, 4740 N Western); Link
– Chicago Ale Fest (Winter) – January 28, Navy Pier (Grand Ballroom); Link
– Cider Summit Chicago – February 11, Navy Pier; Link
Here are other interesting beer stories from the past month:
– Pipeworks Brewing has opened a bottle shop in the Logan Square neighborhood. Link.
– Alarmist Brewing’s taproom set to open in February/March in the Sauganash neighborhood on the city’s north side. Link.
– Off Color Brewing to open brewery with outdoor patio in Lincoln Park neighborhood. Link.
– Dovetail Brewery, one of Chicago’s 2016 breweries, interviewed on WGNTV: Link.
– Yuengling beer is coming to Indiana, inching ever so closer to Chicago. Link.
– 21st Amendment Brewing (out of San Francisco) on the art of naming a beer. Link.
– Here are the hops to watch in 2017. Link.
– Goose Island is opening brewpubs in 6 countries around the world. Link.
– Belgium’s beer culture has been officially recognized by UNESCO. Link.
For more up to date beer information, follow us on social media!
Thank you for reading and your support! 😎👍🍻
21st Amendment , Alarmist Brewing , Ale Syndicate Brewers , Arcade Brewing , Around the Bend Beer Co. , Baderbrau Tap & Brewery , Band of Bohemia , Belgium , Cerveceria Cruz Blanca , Chicago Ale Fest , Cider Summit Chicago , Dovetail Brewery , Dovetail Brewing , Finch Beer Co. , Goose Island , Hop Review , Hopewell Brewing Co. , hops , Motor Row Brewing , Off Color Brewing , Old Irving Brewing Co. , Pipeworks Brewing , Suller's Past Brewing , UNESCO , US breweries , Whiner Beer Co. , Yuengling